MATERIAL LIST FOR PAINTING IN FRANCE
Please buy good quality paints; such as Utrecht, Winsor & Newton, Williamsburg, Michael Harding, Blue Mountain, Holbein, Blockx or similar.
Large Tube Titanium White
Studio sized tubes 35-45 ML
- Cadmium Lemon Yellow
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Yellow Ochre
- Cadmium Red Light
- Alizarin Crimson
- Burnt Sienna
- Viridian Green
- Chrome Oxide Green
- Cobalt Blue
- Ultramarine Blue
Various Art Supplies
- A small jar with a tight fitting screw on lid for holding your turps. *I’ll be providing the turpentine for all of you.
- Disposable paper palette or wooden palette
- **5 x 5 foot wax or plastic coated drop cloth…essential!
- Small jar of Liquitex Liquin
- Medium sized metal trowel shaped palette knife
- Sketchbook approx. 9x 12 inches or smaller
- HB or 2B pencil
- Kneaded eraser
- Small Gouache set 9-12 colors – small tubes
- 3-6 watercolor brushes small, medium and large (1/2 inch) assortment of flats and rounds
- small plastic cup for holding your gouache paint water
- Paint Brushes with long handles (for oil Painting);
sizes #2, 4, 6, 8 Natural Bristle Filberts and a #1 or #2 round and a 2″ Natural Bristle House Painting Brush
- Roll of Paper towels for cleaning brushes..**please bring an entire roll, it can be flattened out to save suitcase space.
- A couple of small plastic bags to easily transport your days refute, paint rags, etc.
Palettes, Panels and Pochades
Plastic or wood palette box. There are plastic one which are airtight which will keep your paints wet longer, such as this
small watercolor paper pad 10 x 7 inches 140 lb paper..or similar to this;
Viewfinder; this can be the plastic frame from an old slide, or two right angle corners of matt board (6 inches) held together with paper clips, or an art store purchased viewfinder
View on www.jerrysartarama.com DaVinci Artist Viewfinder – JerrysArtarama.com
various sizes 8 x10, 9 x 12, 11 x 14 or 12 x 16
I recommend Raymar panels because they’re ultra light and have a nice painting surface
The 10×12 RayMar Art Wet Painting Carrier will protect your wet or dry plein air paintings. This fluted polypropylene plastic carrier is waterproof, lightweight, and strong. The 10×12 wet painting carrier will transport up to six 1/8″ panels. For the best protection, we recommend the artist puts one freshly painted wet painting in each of the three slots. If the paintings are dry to the touch they can be placed back to back, two in each slot. With a Velcro closing lid and adjustable carrying strap, the RayMar Art Panel Carrier is convenient for any paint out, workshop or trip.
Portable landscape painting easel
I recommend bringing a pochade box and light weight tripod. A pochade box serves as an easel, wet painting carrier and a palette (your colors can be mixed right in the box, when you close the box the paint remains inside and protected. If you prefer to hold your palette, as I do, buy a wooden palette which will fit inside the pochade box.
A very nice pochade box for the money, I use this one.
Plein Air Easels by Artwork Essentials
I recommend the “Lite” model, this include the pochade box and tripod and some accessories. If you already have a lightweight tripod and a quick release plate (which would be screwed to your camera) you can simply buy the pochade box…I think this model is $200, but please check with them.
View on artworkessentials.com
My favorite, more expensive but beautifully engineered and crafted.. I call it the Mazerati of pochade boxes!
10 x 12 Bitterroot Lite Pochade Box
The STRADA plein air easel is a versatile aluminum pochade box made for travel